8.07.2006

CASEing Makes it Easy

I have a confession to make. I am a big, fat CASEr.

You might be asking yourself, "What on earth does that mean?!"

Well, when you CASE a card, it means that you "Copy and Steal Everything" you see, basically duplicating their design. For example, if you have a copy of Stampin' Up!'s current Idea Book & Catalog, you can turn with me to Page 89 (or visit their website to browse their on-line catalog), and you will see a card that looks a lot like this one:



Copyright Stampin' Up!® 1990-2006

View the card and see the supplies I used here, at my gallery: Sahara Thanks.

Now, I used a different stamp set and a different set of colors, but as you can see the idea is basically the same. I couldn't live without CASEing. I run so low on ideas...I'd constantly be making the same card over and over again...and they would probably be laid out like this. CASEing makes stamping easy for me!

JulieHRR wrote a post the other day all about this issue. It can be an potentially explosive one. Some people are really flattered when you CASE them. Others are not. Just so you know, I’m on the side of the flattered. But I really appreciate that little “hat tip” of recognition, too.

As a gallery moderator on Splitcoast, I see a lot of CASEd cards come through the approval queue. Many times I see a card that looks exactly the same as one I approved the day before. But it's not--another user has CASEd the card. Now, I think that's a little silly, myself. I personally won't upload a card to SCS that I’ve completely CASEd. I think "Why bother?! It's not an original!" And many times I'm upset to see users something like, "I CASEd this card but I can't remember who I CASEd it from. Sorry!" I think that's just lame because it's not too hard to search for it again (or save it to your favorites folder in the first place!) and give credit to the original artist! Sigh. But I digress...

So, like I said, as a general rule, I don't post cards that I've completely CASEd. What I do is I ask myself, "Did I change something about this card just enough that someone else will see it and be inspired, too? Am I going to share some new idea or technique by showing off my card?" I hope so. So that's why I share my CASEd cards. And that's why I'm sharing this one with you. Hopefully it will get you thinking and make your fingers itchy for some ink and paper.

Julie mentioned that she searched for her username in the SCS gallery to look for cards from people who listed her as inspiration. I thought that was a neat idea! So I did the same thing. I found a few cards in the gallery that puzzled me, as I couldn't figure out how I was the inspiration behind them. It turns out that they were users who read one of my blog posts and tried a new technique. I have to tell you--that made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

So this Thank You card is just for you! You’re the whole reason why I created this blog. And I'm so glad to see the inspiration spread! Happiness! Ah...

It's a good thing.

1 comment:

Tsoniki said...

Thanks for that explanation - I don't think I've heard of CASE before. I know the concept though. LOL A friend of mine is also an SU rep and she got me addicted to stamping.

~ Tsoniki
http://www.mebeingcrafty.com