9.02.2005

So, What is Dry Embossing?

With all the talk about Heat Embossing, you might be wondering what Dry Embossing looks like. Well, it's a little hard to capture the beauty of it in a picture. But I tried!


Copyright Stampin' Up!® 1990-2005

View the card and supply list here, at my gallery: Dry Embossed Flowers.

This card was designed by a friend of mine. I made it while on a Stamping Retreat in Vermont. I love her design! Here's how I made the card:

First, using a square hole punch, I made a window on the top of the card. The dots and swirls you see around the window are the Dry Embossed cardstock.

To Dry Emboss, you typically have a light table (this is a box with a translucent top and a florescent light inside). A light table has many good uses, but it mainly allows you to see though your cardstock. For this card, I used a brass template to emboss with. I laid the template on the light box and when I laid my cardstock face-down overtop of it I could see the light shining up though the image. This allowed me to position my card over the template just right, which was important, since I was repeating the image three more times around the window. I then took a metal stylus (which looks like a pen with a ball for a tip) and gently nudged my cardstock through the brass template. The cardstock began to raise up to create an embossed image.

And it's that easy!

I've learned two things: First, I need to continually remind myself that I'm working with a reserved image. That means I need to lay my cardstock face-down on my template. And I need to make sure my template is laid down with the correct side facing up, especially with my Stampin' Up! brass templates (that's because they coordinate with stamp sets, so I don't want to reverse my image if I'm also stamping the paper, too).

And second, while I need to push my stylus firmly into the template, I need to be gentle because I could cause a tear in the paper. So I remind myself to go slow. It works like a charm.

Let me know if you have any questions about Dry Embossing. I'd be happy to answer them!

No comments: